Master of Contemporary Chinese Studies 2023 Program - Silk Road School, Renmin University of China (Suzhou)
The Master of Contemporary Chinese Studies is a key measure by Renmin University of China (RUC) to actively support the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) in education. Following several years of preparation, the program leverages RUC’s educational platform, international operational experience and high-level think-tank resources to train future elite leaders for countries along the BRI that have a passion for Chinese culture, understand profoundly the path, model and experience of China’s development.
Departing from a global strategic perspective and amassing global political leaders, business elite and outstanding faculty resources, the program combines competitive professional courses, expert seminars, high-level forums, visit to well-known enterprises as well as various cultural visits to offer students a well-rounded academic experience in China.
Renmin University of China is the first comprehensive research university established by the People’s Republic of China.Its predecessor was Shanbei Public School, founded in 1937.Many Chinese heads of state have paid close attention to RUC’s development.Each has visited RUC’s campus and delivered speeches or written inscriptions for the university.Since Renmin University of China was established, more than 250,000 outstanding RUC alumini have made important contributions in various sectors including government, academia, finance, communication and education.With 14 “double first-rate” disciplines, among which 9 are ranked A+ by China’s Ministry of Education, Renmin University of China is well placed to become an influential leader in the Chinese humanities and social sciences.
The Silk Road School offers several levels of scholarship for the successful applicants this year, including the full scholarship and partial scholarship.
I. Application Qualifications
1. NOT have Chinese nationality.
2. Should hold a valid ordinary passport;
3. Have acquired a degree equivalent to a Chinese bachelor’s degree and have a good command of English;
4. Not be older than 35 years old in principle;
5. Be physically and mentally healthy;
II. Application Time
November 15th, 2022- April 30th, 2023
Please note: International Students Office (ISO) of RUC will review the application materials during the application period. Applicants who do not pass the online preliminary review shall resubmit the application materials before the deadline. No application will be accepted after the deadline.
III. Application Process
1. Online Application
Applicants must log in to the International Students Application System of Renmin University of China (http://international.ruc.edu.cn/application) within the application time, fill in the application information authentically, upload the application materials and pay the application fee online in the system.
After the payment of the application fee, the system will automatically generate the Application Form for International Students of Renmin University of China. Applicants should print the application form and sign it.
1) The requirement of the electronic photos:
a. Taken recently, plain white background, two-inch;
b. Full face exposed, ears exposed;
c. With a neutral facial expression;
d. Taken in dark-colored clothes;
e. Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily;
f. Taken with no hat or other head coverings unless it is required by the applicant’s religious belief; Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face;
g. The image format should be in JPG or JPEG;
h. The head of the applicant shall account for 2/3 of the whole photo.
2) The registration information must be verified before submitting. Once submitted, it cannot be modified.
3) Be sure to keep the username and password used in online registration.
4) The application fee is RMB 800. Please pay the application fee through the online payment in the system. The application fee will not be refunded.
5) Late applications will not be accepted.
2. Mail the hard copies of the application materials
After the online application, RUC will review the applicants’ information and materials. Applicants who pass the online preliminary review should mail the hard copies of the application materials to the International Students Office of RUC through EMS or SF-Express within one week after passing the online preliminary review.（please send track number to firstname.lastname@example.org one week after passing the online preliminary review）
IV. Application Materials (student should upload soft copies online and mail hard copies offline)
1. Application Form for International Students of Renmin University of China (Original)
After online application, the system will automatically generate the application form. The form should be printed clearly on one piece of A4 paper. Smeared, doodled or damaged forms are not acceptable. Applicants must sign the form.
2. Final Education Certificate
1) Applicants who have graduated should submit the copy of final education certificate, with the original copy of the notarization of the final education certificate or the original copy of verification of the final education certificate by the Ministry of Education of China, the Ministry of Education of the applicant’s country, the applicant’s embassy in China, Chinese embassy in the applicant’s country or other institutions entrusted by the Ministries and Embassies mentioned above.
2) If the applicant is currently a student at school, please submit the original or notarized copy of the certificate of expected graduation issued by his or her current university. The original diploma and graduation certificate must be provided to the university for re-examination. Those who fail to pass the re-examination will not be admitted for registration. If the applicant cannot provide the related final education certificate according to the item 1) above within the first two weeks after registration in September, the enrollment will be turned down.
3. Transcript (original or notarized)
The transcript must include all the courses of the final education period. The final GPA should be no less than 3.0/4.0. If the full score of the course is not 100, please provide the guide to transcript.
4. Copies of the First Page and Visa Page of the Passport
The applicant must hold an ordinary passport. Other types of passport or ID documents are not allowed for application. The validity of the passport must be later than September 30, 2024. Otherwise, please change the passport in advance. Applicants must apply for registration and study in China with ordinary passports. The copy of the visa page refers to the copy of the visa page held in China (if any). Please do not change the passport and personal information after the online application. The change will affect the enrollment accordingly.
5. Two Recommendation Letters
Two recommendation letters are required, from two professors or associate professors written in Chinese or English using the letterhead with the university’s name at the top.
The recommendation letters must contain the signature, name, position, work unit and contact informtion of the recommender. Applicants who have left the University for a long time and cannot get in touch with the university may submit two recommendation letters issued by the leaders in charge of the applicant’s work unit using the letterhead paper of the recommenders.
6. Personal Statement
The personal statement provides an opportunity for you to present yourself and shall be written in English.
7. Study Plan
The study plan should include personal study and work experience, academic research achievements, research plans, career planning after graduation, etc.
8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Original)
The Foreigner Physical Examination Form should be the original document. The template of Foreigner Physical Examination Form can be downloaded on the website of International Students Office. The applicant should go to the local regular hospital for physical examination in strict accordance with the items specified in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. A physical examination form missing items, photo, cross-page seal, signature of the doctor and the seal of the hospital is considered invalid.
9. English Proficiency Certificate
The total score of IELTS must be 6.0 or above, and TOEFL score must be 90 or above. Other English proficiency certificates are not accepted. Applicants who have obtained an English-taught degree or who are native English speakers (including those of Chinese descent born in foreign countries) are not required to submit English proficiency certificate.
10. Proof of Economic Capability (choose one of the following)
1) Bank deposit certificate of the applicant (time deposit of no less than RMB 30,000 and the maturity date should be after October 2023).
2) the guarantor’s employment certificate (annual income specified) or bank deposit certificate (the employment certificate must be issued on the company’s letterhead paper or time deposit of no less than RMB 30,000 and the maturity date should be after October 2023).
11. Letter of Guarantee
The template of the Letter of Guarantee can be downloaded from the website of the International Students Office. The Letter of Guarantee should be signed by the applicant’s relative or the economic guarantor.
12. Certificate of No Criminal Record (original or notarized copy).
1) Applicants who are currently not in Chinese mainland should offer the certificate issued by the local public security department.
2) Applicants who are currently in Chinese mainland should offer the certificate issued by entry and exit administration departments of China.
13. Nationality Proof
According to the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China and the Letter No.12  of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, some applicants shall provide additional materials as http://iso.ruc.edu.cn/ENGLISH/Apply/MastersprogramsinEnglish/db70bd8b6eec4075864af541cbe34583.htm.
14. Copies of published academic papers, awards or other research results may be attached if necessary.
The published academic papers shall be attached with a retrieval certificate, certificate of publication or other relevant publication proof materials.
Matters needing attention:
* All application materials shall be in Chinese / English, and notarized Chinese / English translation shall be provided for texts not in Chinese / English. Documents in other languages are not accepted. If the published academic paper is too long to provide translation, Chinese / English research certificate, employment certificate or other relevant publication proof materials shall be provided, and the original paper shall be attached;
* If the submitted materials are notarized copies, they shall be the original notarized copies. Copies of notarizations are not accepted;
* All application materials will not be returned once submitted;
* Renmin University of China reserves the right to require the applicant to submit relevant supporting materials.
V. Review and Enrollment Procedure
Applicants can apply for 2 programs at the same time. The International Students Office (ISO) will review the application materials. After the preliminary review, ISO will send the application materials to the first program that the applicant applies for. The program will review the application materials again and notify the qualified applicants of participating a test or an interview.
If the applicant’s materials do not pass the review of the first program, or the applicant fails to pass the test or interview of the first program, his or her application materials will go through the same procedure to the second program.
If the applicant fails to pass the review / test / interview of both the programs, the application procedure will automatically end and the applicant cannot be admitted.
After reviewing application materials and organizing the test / interview, the program will form a proposed admission list based on the applicant’s overall performance and research capacity. The proposed admission list will be submitted to the Admission Office of the Graduate School along with the record sheet of the interview and all the application materials. The Admission Committee of Renmin University will deliberate and finalize the admission list, after which the International Students Office will issue the admission results and send the admission notices.
The application period is open until April 30, 2023.
Interviewed by expert group (in English) online.
VIII. Application Schedule
Deadline for online applications: April 30, 2023
Interview online: From May to June, 2023
Letters of admission sent out: July, 2023
Semester begins: September, 2023
The following specializations are available on the program:
The following is a selection of the available courses
? China Politics
? Contemporary Chinese Society
? Contemporary Chinese Foreign Policy
? Contemporary Chinese Economy
? China and Its Relations with Great Powers
? Investing in China
? Chinese Finance
? Neighboring Diplomacy and Regional Cooperation
? Chinese Culture
? Digital Economy
? Chinese Language
X.Duration and Location
The program is two years full-time in Suzhou city, Jiangsu Province of China
Silk Road School, Renmin University of China
Address: No.158 Ren’ai Road, Dushulake High Education District, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China